[Vserver] Host and guest compatability

From: Jim Wight <j.k.wight_at_ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue 08 Aug 2006 - 20:46:04 BST

To what extent do the host and the guest have to be compatible? I'm
getting this when trying to start a Fedora Core 5 guest on an FC4 host:

  # vserver fc5 start
  /usr/bin/env: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /usr/bin/env)

  An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
  there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
  (/etc/rc.d/rc 3) failed.

  Common causes are:
  * /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
    method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
    appending 'true' to this file will help.

  Failed to start vserver 'fc5'

FC5 has glibc 2.4 whereas FC4 has glibc 2.3. Is that really the problem,
or is the message a side-effect of some other problem?

My setup is 2.6.14.3-vs2.0.1 with 0.30.210. The vserver was created by
dumping an installation on hardware and restoring it to /vservers/fc5
and then:

  replacing dev with one created by 'vserver <vserver> build -m skeleton'
  chroot /vservers/fc5
  cd /etc/init.d
  for i in *; do chkconfig $i off; done
  chkconfig syslog on
  mv halt halt.orig
  ln -s /bin/true halt
  commenting out references to klogd in syslog

which is a procedure that has been successful with FC2 and FC4 guests on
FC4 hosts.

Jim