Re: [Vserver] Localhost in vserver: short questions

From: Alexander Kabanov <shurikk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri 13 Oct 2006 - 18:03:40 BST

hi there,

it seems like many people have the same question over and over again.

yes, you can have localhost
vi /etc/hosts
xx.xx.xx.xx localhost

where xx.xx.xx.xx your guest IP

you can give 127.0.0.1 to a guest, but then your server shares it with
the guest.

you can give 127.0.0.x to guests, but they will be able to ping each
other anyway. (and I recall that somebody told me this is not a very
good approach)

let me rephrase you question - do you want an isolated localhost IP
address for each guest? Why would you need this?

I'm sure it's been discussed many times already, perhaps it will be a
part of linux-vserver net-ng, what's the status?

my answers on your questions (correct me if I'm wrong):
1) yes, it's possible, see scenario described above
2) yes, pings come from the host server

ping 127.0.0.x (x any number)
you will receive responses

best,