[Vserver] vserver patch making its way into the kernel.org kernels...?

From: Technical Support <tech_at_point0.net>
Date: Tue 13 Mar 2007 - 07:02:28 GMT

hi folks,

apologies if this is a ticklish question or one I should just know the
answer to, but...

I'm working for a large company that churns out lots of machines and am
trying to convince them to use vservers to help with several issues.

However, the folks on our "platform team" are concerned - they want to
use a "stock kernel" (which evidently means something downloaded
directly from kernel.org) and don't like the idea of a patch. Evidently
this causes a long-term maintenance issue - not necessarily from the
technical perspective of applying the patch, but from a documentation,
regression testing, license compliance (we distribute appliances, so we
have to do extra work for GPL compliance), etc.

So the questions I've been asked to ask are these --

    Is there progress on getting the vserver modifications into the
"standard kernel"?
    Is that even something the project hopes to accomplish at some point?
    If yes, any idea when...? :)

Thanks in advance!

 - Ken (tech@point0.net)