Re: [Vserver] vserver patch making its way into the kernel.org kernels...?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 13 Mar 2007 - 16:55:30 GMT

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:02:28AM -0700, Technical Support wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> apologies if this is a ticklish question or one I should just know the
> answer to, but...

> I'm working for a large company that churns out lots of machines and am
> trying to convince them to use vservers to help with several issues.

> However, the folks on our "platform team" are concerned - they want
> to use a "stock kernel" (which evidently means something downloaded
> directly from kernel.org) and don't like the idea of a patch.
> Evidently this causes a long-term maintenance issue - not necessarily
> from the technical perspective of applying the patch, but from a
> documentation, regression testing, license compliance (we distribute
> appliances, so we have to do extra work for GPL compliance), etc.

well, if the stock kernel.org kernel does what you want,
then there is no need to add patches like Linux-VServer :)

> So the questions I've been asked to ask are these --

> Is there progress on getting the vserver modifications into the
> "standard kernel"?

yes, OS-Level virtualization (and isolation) is getting into
the mainline (vanilla) kernel

> Is that even something the project hopes to accomplish at some
> point?

hmm, not really, but we are trying to make sure that whatever
gets into mainline is actually useful and performant, but I
think the actual framework will take quite a while until it
is available (and usable) in mainline

> If yes, any idea when...? :)

the first elements of Linux-VServer are already in mainline
(e.g. the various spaces introduced over time) and more stuff
is getting in every day, a fully working isolation solution
like Linux-VServer will take a few years to stabilize though

HTC,
Herbert