Re: [Vserver] Localhost definition problem with Postfix/Amavisd-new

From: Christian Affolter <c.affolter_at_stepping-stone.ch>
Date: Tue 15 May 2007 - 08:28:11 BST

Hi Alejandro!

> Today I write to Herbert because I lost my mail account password, but
> now I retrieve it....so I have a question to ask you. I have Debian Etch
> with a vserver, having a base host and two vservers. One of these
> vservers has a LDAP server with localhost mapped to a private
> non-routable IP and it runs OK, and the other vserver has a mail server
> using Postfix/Courier/Amavisd-new/Spamassassin/Clamav, where I map
> localhost to 192.168.0.1 (another private non-routable IP).
>
> But I can't put the mail server to work because the Postfix can't
> establish a connection to the amavisd. Because of the variety of
> components I suspect that amavisd-new, spamassassin or clamav are
> hardcoded to 127.0.0.1, so I can't use a private non-routable IP as
> localhost.
I'm running the same setup as you within vservers, without the need for
a "localhost" address.

Postfix instances can be bound to a specific address (see man 5 master),
the same goes for amavisd-new ($inet_socket_bind). Calamav uses a
unix-socket and spamassassin gets called via the Perl bindings
(Mail::SpamAssassin). However if your using the spamd, you should be
able to bind it to a specific address too (-i <address> iirc).

> My question is: do you recommend to me to map localhost to 127.0.0.1 as
> usual in my mail server (vserver) because some mail packages could be
> hardcoded ??? Or is it OK to continue using localhost mapped to
> 192.168.0.1 defined as the localhost interface of my vserver ????
It's up to you, however I prefer to use a dedicated RFC 1918 address for
each internal service and bind each daemon explicit to the dedicated
address.

regards,
Chris