Re: [Vserver] clusters/farms/failovers?

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Thu 21 Jun 2007 - 21:32:54 BST

On Thursday 21 June 2007 14:53, Ruben Leote Mendes wrote:
> Hello Chuck,
>
> I believe you will find DRBD + Heartbeat an option for what you want.
> This page in the wiki has some info on how to set it up:
>
> http://oldwiki.linux-vserver.org/Vserver+DRBD

thanks! will study it

> Ruben
>
> Em Qui, Junho 21, 2007 02:09, Chuck escreveu:
> > I am in the idea stage for something I am not positive is entirely worth
> > the
> > effort and I am in totally uncharted territory.
> >
> > I am not sure what terminology is i am looking for here... what i am
> > thinking
> > i want to do is:
> >
> > have 2 hosts one a mirror of the other including all vserver guests etc.
> > the 2
> > machines are identical in every way.
> >
> > rather than have the mirror machine on 'standby' waiting for some fateful
> > day
> > it is needed, i would like both servers and all guests to be running
> > simultaneously. this would be accomplished by having everything running
> > unique private network ip addresses. this would allow adding
> > additional 'mirror' machines as necessary.
> >
> > the existing public ips from the production server we have running would
> > be
> > moved to some 'control' computer which would have a listing of the
> > private
> > ips that would serve what the public ip wants and would call on either one
> > as
> > needed. if one of the private ip servers doesnt respond (down) the control
> > computer would simply choose the working ip until the first one comes back
> > online.
> >
> > what do i need to do in the 'control' machine to accomplish this? is this
> > some
> > kind of configuration that already exists in the linux distro? we run
> > gentoo.
> > beowolf (whatever that is)?
> >
> > is there another way of accomplishing what i wish to do? also how messy
> > will
> > keeping the mirror machines 'in sync' be? would i be better off having
> > all
> > machines but the controller share a common nfs mount for all the guests?
> >
> > some of these virtual servers are very high volume usage so if all the
> > data
> > must route through the control computer, i am thinking that computer would
> > have to be a monster. or maybe have several control computers each
> > handling a
> > different class of service.
> >
> > sorry if i sound like i have no clue what i am talking about, but that is
> > the
> > truth :) , i only think i know what i want to accomplish.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Chuck

> --
> Rúben Leote Mendes -- ruben@netureza.pt

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book