Re: [Vserver] Vserver copy. The saga continues!

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Thu 12 Jul 2007 - 19:23:50 BST

On Thursday 12 July 2007 13:55, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

if i use vserver build with its rsync options it makes the /etc/vserver/guest
directory for me just like any other build using vserver. are you using rsync
by itself? maybe thats why. the vserver application automatically makes
the /etc/vserver/guest areas for anything as far as i know.

i noticed you mention /etc/vserver/guest/apps you use other files besides
style and mark? i many times use mtab for certain things but i just copy
a 'template' mtab file in. since most of my guests are not cookie-cutter i
usually have to modify the settings in the /etc/vserver config area anyway so
its no big deal to copy/modify capability files, mtab,add name to interfaces
etc.

i have never gotten into different pkg mgt systems and have never used them to
build a guest, only to update its own files internally. i suppose i am 'far
behind the times', but i treat each guest as its own server and run the
updates internally etc. (doesn't get me in trouble that way :) ).

> The builds using rsync are going well but this has created a bit of a
> problem. Typically I build using yum as the method. This creates all
> the necessary files in /etc/vservers/<guest>/apps. Using rsync doesn't.
>
> Is there a command/incantation to convert a vserver guest to another
> package-management system like yum, apt-get, etc?
>
> I suspect the pieces to do this are in the vserver script but if the
> method is just undocumented it would be quicker.
>

> TIA,
> Rod
> --

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book