Re: [vserver] Re: Real Time Priority Process in Guest

From: Dennis Muhlestein <djmuhlestein_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed 17 Oct 2007 - 22:24:31 BST

> so to sumarize, do not (never ever) give that to
> an untrusted (potentially hostile) guest, as it can
> easily hang your entire host ....
>
> note: no normal 'user' process (non root) will
> ever get realtime priority :)

I agree completely.

I'm using SYS_NICE for a guest that runs linux-ha. Heartbeat is the
program that needs real time priority. I wrote more about getting
heartbeat to run on a vserver here:
http://allmybrain.com/2007/10/02/using-linux-ha-for-high-availability-with-gentoo-and-linux-vserver/

I run heartbeat on the vservers instead of real servers because I'm
short of hardware and need to still use those machines for other
purposes. That, and it is really nice to be able to back up my
vservers to another machine without taking down the host. If I loose
the host, I can just stick the vserver somewhere else and repair the
machine at my leisure.

Thanks
Dennis