[vserver] Kernel Thread's accounted to a User Context

From: Eric Keller <ekeller_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Fri 30 Nov 2007 - 16:09:40 GMT

What I'm trying to do is to run a kernel thread, but have it associated
with a particular user's context. The reason is this - I want to run
Click in the kernel, but allow each user to provide their own click
graph. The root context will manage the whole process, performing
checks, then merging the various click graphs into a single click graph,
and installing that in the kernel. Each user graph would be run within
their own kernel thread.

I've looked through the vserver code and before I start doing any
modifications, I wanted to post to the group to see if anyone has any
guidance. It appears that include/linux/vs_context.h provides all of
the functionality I'd need. So I would start the kernel thread as
usual, then I would transfer it (by changing vx_info and xid, from
task_struct) from the kernel's vx_info to a particular user context's
vx_info (I would get the vx_info with lookup_vx_info(xid)).

Does that sound right, or where should I be looking?

Thanks,
Eric Keller