Re: [vserver] ramFS Host

From: Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] <r.bhatia_at_ipax.at>
Date: Thu 03 Jan 2008 - 15:06:46 GMT

as it is possible to boot a whole linux system from network with no local
harddisk (pxe should be the keyword), i see no issue with that besides
being a little more complicated for updates :) (as you need to patch the
file on the server and re-pack it - afairc)

please tell us about your progress!

cheers,
raoul

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:30:42 -0600, "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
wrote:
> Group,
>
> A somewhat abstract question today ...
>
> The usual protocol for a kernel booting with an initial ramFS (early
> userspace);
> is for the setup and whatever initialization be done in the ramFS image;
> then switch_root (which removes the initial ramFS contents) to the "run
> time"
> storage media (yea, everyone here knows that) ...
>
> But the size of a truly minimal VServer host image (logging, sshd, ntpd,
> network tables)
> is not very big (target system is a mini-laptop (EeePC) with at least
> 0.5Gb ram) - -
> Why "switch_root" for the host?
> Why not just bring up the first (most likely only) user context as a
> vserver on the
> run-time media - let the host context continue to run in ramFS?
>
> Technically, it looks like it should work - -
> Anybody tried this sort of setup? Any practical problems encountered?
> Of course, this setup would hold a few Mbytes of disk buffers out of the
> pool,
> but the machine has a lot of ram, I don't think they would be missed.
>
> Mike

DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia@ipax.at
Technischer Leiter
IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG         web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office@ipax.at
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15