Re: [vserver] vserver in debian squeeze

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat 29 May 2010 - 13:03:17 BST

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:59:57PM -0600, Eric Schoeller wrote:
> So it looks like the debian team is removing Linux-Vserver
> in favor of LXC.

AFAIK, longterm yes

> I haven't played around with Linux containers at all.

LXC is solely based on mainline virtualization effords,
which have become a topic of interest in the last two
years ...

note that it still misses large parts required to create
and maintain a secure guest environment :)

> What does this shift mean for Linux-Vserver?

in general, Linux-VServer uses mainline mechanisms
wherever appropriate and available, so Linux-VServer
will (hopefully) become smaller and smaller till only
userspace remains

what debian does or doesn't do does not really affect
Linux-VServer :)

> Is there generally growing support for LXC and OpenVZ
> over Linux-Vserver out there?

I guess/hope that there is growing support for LXC,
but I doubt that there is for OpenVZ, as it will be
replaced by LXC (at some point) too ...

remeber, OpenVZ is the 'open source' spinoff of the
commerical product maintained by SWsoft/Parallels

HTC,
Herbert