Re: [vserver] vserver scalability

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Thu 17 Jun 2010 - 14:54:37 BST

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 03:39:12PM +0200, Remigiusz Modrzejewski wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 12:29 , Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >> You are/will be doing large scale, don't you? Have you looked into Dell Fortuna?
> >
> > Yes; eventually. In small increments, by whatever spare cash chunks
> > happen to be around. Which is why high-power servers and blades
> > are out of question.
> >
> >> It seems that the Via Nano system may be actually better than Atom. But unfortunately
> >
> > I'm not sure, it's hard to argue with 80+ servers in a single easily cooled rack,
> > with full IPMI and starting at 400+ EUR at a functional server.
>

> I'm not sure whether you understood my mail, or what Dell Fortuna is.

I've read about Fortuna when it came out. I've used Nano systems.

> It's an even smaller system.

I'm not interested in a smaller system.
Current achievable back-to-back densities already
well outstrip of what I can fund today. Also,
the problem is not density, the problem is cooling.
Making systems denser exacerbates the problem.

> You can get 240+ servers with full IPMI in such a rack.

At the price of about 400 EUR a pop? I doubt that.

> But I don't know the price, as they don't list it nor want
> to talk with someone who doesn't buy in volume. Only thing
> that I do know is that you can buy dedicated hosting (with
> unlimited fast transfer) on those for 15EUR/month.

I'm not sure I would want to keep a user/blade. I expect
about 10-50 users (one guest each) on a single 400+ EUR Atom
box. I presume the pricing would be about 10 EUR/month.
Maybe more for resource hogs, less for lean guests. We'll see
how that pans out.

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org