Re: [vserver] vserver scalability

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri 18 Jun 2010 - 11:04:46 BST

On 17/06/2010 14:54, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I'm not sure I would want to keep a user/blade. I expect
> about 10-50 users (one guest each) on a single 400+ EUR Atom
> box. I presume the pricing would be about 10 EUR/month.
> Maybe more for resource hogs, less for lean guests. We'll see
> how that pans out.

There is a guy who does Mac Mini hosting which seemed like an almost
interesting idea. They list at a price more expensive than a bunch of
supermicro Atom machines, but given that they use the 25W core2 part and
have been really built for low power it seems like you might gain quite
an advantage in power/cooling costs? They also seem to have a high
density and of course if you are CPU bound rather than RAM bound then
the Core2 is likely vastly faster than an Atom?

I can only assume that these boxes survive reasonably well in a hosting
environment because someone else is already doing it...

Anyway, so many ways to skin a cat...

Ed W