Re: [vserver] 2.6.35.2-vs2.3.0.36.31 and 0.30.216~r2842

From: <ben_at_bristolwireless.net>
Date: Wed 08 Sep 2010 - 10:40:14 BST

Quoting Ghislain <gadnet@aqueos.com>:

>> I'm finding this too, there are issues with installing and
>> uninstalling this package because of the stringent rules. Also, I
>> change the symlink /etc/vserver/.default/vdir to a none standard value
>> and it gets overwritten on installing the package.
>>
>> Ghislain, any chance of packaging so that the packages simply warns of
>> any dodgy file or directory presence, rather than enforcing them and
>> refusing to install?
>
> i can look into this, could you tell me what issues you encounter
> exactly and i will try to correct those.

Okay, now I look into it, the problem I've come accross is fairly
simple. If I install util-vserver-basic-debian and then install
util-vserver-basic, the packaging system breaks. Each package should
conflict with the other, as well as util-vserver.

The only way to get out of this pickle is to create the directories
util-vserver-basic wants so it can be properly installed, then to
remove it again.

Here's some example output of me breaking apt for myself :)

kale:~# apt-get install util-vserver-basic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
   rsync
The following NEW packages will be installed
   util-vserver-basic
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
Need to get 691kB of archives.
After this operation, 3338kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get: 1 http://repo.psand.net lenny/main util-vserver-basic
0.30.216-pre2906lenny [691kB]
Fetched 691kB in 0s (872kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package util-vserver-basic.
(Reading database ... 66885 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking util-vserver-basic (from
.../util-vserver-basic_0.30.216-pre2906lenny_amd64.deb) ...
This package is made for install with configuration in
/usr/local/etc/vservers, you have /etc/vservers this will not work
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/util-vserver-basic_0.30.216-pre2906lenny_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
ls: cannot access /vservers: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
  /var/cache/apt/archives/util-vserver-basic_0.30.216-pre2906lenny_amd64.deb
kale:~# apt-get install util-vserver-basic-debian
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
util-vserver-basic-debian is already the newest version.
required:
   rsync
   util-vserver-basic
   util-vserver-basic
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/691kB of archives.
After this operation, 3338kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package
`util-vserver-basic' missing, assuming package has no files currently
installed.
66885 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace util-vserver-basic 0.30.216-pre2906lenny (using
[...]
kale:~# apt-get remove util-vserver-basic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
   rsync
The following packages will be REMOVED
   util-vserver-basic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
dpkg: error processing util-vserver-basic (--remove):
  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
  util-vserver-basic
kale:~#

==
 From Ben Green