Re: Re: [vserver] Mountpoint readonly

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 29 Oct 2010 - 18:10:16 BST

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:37:02PM +0200, Roman Pretory wrote:
> by booting the vserver-defaults I have now seen a message like
> ext3-fs too many mounts...

could it have been something like 'max mount count reached'?

anyway, when the filesystem switches to read only without
'somebody' or 'something' explicitely changing it to read
only, then something severe is going on, and you should get
a proper message at lest in dmesg ...

but have you considered that maybe somebody or some mechanism
changes the filesystem on purpose to read only?

> I have found now a 2 guest mounting this drive by booting and
> removed it, in the moment it seem to be ok, but this could
> take a while.

there should be no problem with two guests sharing the same
filesystem/mount, but OTOH, you are not using the latest
kernel/tools, IIRC

> The hole hardware is the same like before und also the backup
> system is change and have now the same error!
> no troubles before for 2 years ore more.

could be a change in the filesystem code, or could be that
the error was always there but went undetected (just caused
some subtle filesystem corruption :)

> If a take the old boot disk with CENTOS 5.5 32bit all is ok
> again.

old boot disk, so there is a 'new boot disk' in the game?

> it's only different kernel and vserverutil.

> the mount options on:
> http://linux-vserver.org/Share_a_directory_among_multiple_guests#See_also

> dosn't work on this system vor 2 guest's
> /srv/common/home /home none defaults 0 0

you need to specify a bind mount if you want to share a
directory between two guests ...

> in the logs a have found nothing.
> only this maybe??
> vxW: [»crond«,30790:#3040|3040|3040] messing with the procfs.

that's unrelated ...