[vserver] RE : VServer vs OpenVZ.

From: <mourad.alia_at_orange-ftgroup.com>
Date: Thu 09 Dec 2010 - 18:14:36 GMT

De : ALIA Mourad NRS
Date d'envoi : jeudi 9 décembre 2010 19:14
À : vserver@list.linux-vserver.org
Objet : VServer vs OpenVZ.
I made a mistake in my text :

 " VServer is more tooled, simpler, virtualise the network, supports hot VM migration".
to be replaced by :
 " OpenVZ is more tooled, simpler, virtualise the network, supports hot VM migration".

Sorry for that,

Cheers,

-- Mourad

Dear VServers,

As introduced in my previsous post, wa are about using VServer to emaulate P2P like VoIP peers. This is used for sacalability and performance testing of our VoIP application.

Here are our needs :

A) We want to have a maximum of VMs per server. Our server are 24 hyperthreded machine with 6 physical network interfaces :
    IP Network Server NSN2U (Ballenger-NH)
    Single 600W AC PSU
    Memory 24 GB
    CPU Dual Xeon E5645
    SATA HDD 500GB
    Ethernet I/O Module (four Gigabit rear ports)

B) Each VM hosts a JVM which run one or many instances of our applications.

C) The applications (VoIP peers) communicate basically through multicast.

D) Each n VMs (m applications) will use one given Eth physical interface to distribute correctly the network traffic.

Currently, there is a hot discussion in my departement on OpenVZ vs VServer : " VServer is more tooled, simpler, virtualise the network, supports hot VM migration".

What do you think about this versus ?

Any particular advise towards my use case ?

Thank you for your response and support,

Kind regards,

-- Mourad ALIA
   Software Architect
   OBS

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.