Re: [vserver] RE : VServer vs OpenVZ.

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 10 Dec 2010 - 03:06:52 GMT

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 07:14:36PM +0100, mourad.alia@orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
> De : ALIA Mourad NRS
> Date d'envoi : jeudi 9 décembre 2010 19:14
> À : vserver@list.linux-vserver.org
> Objet : VServer vs OpenVZ.
> I made a mistake in my text :

> " VServer is more tooled, simpler,
> virtualise the network, supports hot VM migration".

> to be replaced by :

> " OpenVZ is more tooled,

there might be more tools, but what can you do with
that tools you can't accomplish in Linux-VServer?

> simpler,

definitely depends on the point of view ...

> virtualise the network,

you can have that with network namespaces in recent
Linux-VServer (and mainline) kernels

> supports hot VM migration".

google the archives for my statement on that if you
really like to know, but IMHO it's a pure marketing
feature which doesn't really make sense in production

besides that, here are a few points to consider in
advantage of Linux-VServer:

less intrusive:
 the Linux-VServer patch against 2.6.36 is 753K
 the OpenVZ patch for 2.6.36 does not exist; the
 patch for 2.6.32 (seems to be the latest) 4.9M
 note that the features are roughly the same

more performant:
 Linux-VServer has no measureable overhead for
 network isolation and allows the full performance
 (OpenVZ report 1-3% overhead, not verified)

better integrated:
 Linux-VServer is around for 10 years now and
 supports all Linux platforms and architectures
 (OpenVZ supports only 6 and mainly RH(EL))

all other points (true independant open source
for example) have been already covered by other