Re: [vserver] Bad Linux-Vserver (CentOS) kernel?

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 15:12:18 GMT

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 08:01:33AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> I've wanted to do the same and think the _used_ systems that were
> provided have IPMI but I've never taken the time to figure out what I
> need to do it. Looked at a couple of articles but they tended to be
> manufacturer specific.
>
> You got any suggestions on reading/how to/etc. for setting up IPMI that
> are generic? Hardware and software needed?

IPMI typically have dedicated or shared NICs, and can be configured
to a specific IP address. They can be accessed via browser (Java
needed), command line (ipmitool) or monitored via SNMP, e.g. via
Nagios plugins or such. This allows monitoring hardware health
including many aspects of the system, including ambient temperatures
and allows e.g. external watchdogs to reset the system when
measurement probe detects it's unresponsive.

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org