Re: [vserver] Bad Linux-Vserver (CentOS) kernel?

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_cyber-office.net>
Date: Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 15:01:33 GMT

Ed W wrote:
> On 23/03/2011 00:10, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> But before I plan another trip to the colo (35 miles) to update all the
>> machines there I hoping for some reassurance that that it was just a bad
>> day for me and kernels. :-)
>

> On an unrelated note I have bought boards with IPMI onboard, and now
> there is zero reason to be near them or not for upgrades or even
> installing the OS. You can get full serial port access (or VGA access
> if you need it), power control and even get into the bios and watch the
> bios boot pages

<snip />

I've wanted to do the same and think the _used_ systems that were
provided have IPMI but I've never taken the time to figure out what I
need to do it. Looked at a couple of articles but they tended to be
manufacturer specific.

You got any suggestions on reading/how to/etc. for setting up IPMI that
are generic? Hardware and software needed?

TIA,
Rod