Re: [vserver] running vserver in cron: stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 24 Aug 2011 - 14:05:02 BST

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 01:53:54PM +0200, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:16:33PM +0200, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> To backup my vservers, I run a script from cron, and this
>>> script stop, backups up and starts each vserver.
>>> The vserver command however outputs this error:

>>>   stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

>> please show us the script and the crontab invocation

> Here's the script

> #!/bin/bash

> . ./backup_vars.sh
> for d in /var/lib/vservers/* ; do
> vserver=$(basename $d)
> vserver --silent $vserver stop
> ./vs_time_machine.sh $d
> vserver --silent $vserver start
> done

> And cron invocation:

> 00 04 * * * root cd /usr/local/shbackup/ && ./sync_vservers.sh >/dev/null

>>> Any idea how I can avoir this error message?

the message most likely originates from within a/the guest,
which, for whatever reason, tries to do something to the
controlling terminal (e.g. figure out what kind of terminal
that is or change some parameters)

>>> I'm running on debian:
>>> ii  util-vserver                        0.30.216~r2772-6
>>>      user-space tools for Linux-VServer virtual private servers

>> better update to a more recent version

>>> ii  vserver-debiantools                 0.6.3
>>>      Tools to manage debian virtual servers

>> better get rid of that completely before it does
>> some real damage (but maybe it already did)

how was the guest created?

> I wans't aware of that. Can you point me to some docs about it
> (a quick google and search on the website didn't return info
> about the dangers)

in short, vserver-debiantools are deprecated because:

 - they are debian only and Linux-VServer is distro
   agnostic, so anything done there should better be
   done in util-vserver (upstream)

 - the maintainer (Ola Lundqvist) doesn't cooperate
   with Linux-VServer, even worse, he actively blocks
   necessary updates to util-vserver

 - the tools are ancient, and as far as I know they
   have not been updated at all, i.e. they still asume
   util-vserver 0.30.204 or similar (from 2005)

 - they do not configure guests in a secure way
 - they do not support most of the features

and most importantly:

 - they cause constant grieve to the Linux-VServer
   developers, because folks think that they are
   maintained and supported (and thus come here to
   complain about strange effects and/or subtle bugs)

in general, please use on your own risk, and most
importantly, do not bother the util-vserver or kernel
developers with effects related to them ....

thanks,
Herbert

> Thanks
> Raph