Re: [vserver] NFS shares or iSCSI

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Mon 12 Dec 2011 - 13:51:03 GMT

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 02:23:39PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> so, what performance do you get over this setup
> ignoring any filesystem overhead? 50MB/s 100MB/s ?

I will have to nuke the system in order to make it
production, but it should be able to saturate GBit/s.
I don't know how many IOPS it would have, but it
is likely to have at least an order of magnitude
better performance than the local RAID 1 pair
of spindles.

> how many packets (I/O operations) can you transmit
> in a second? 10k? 20k? ...

I'm expecting about 1 k IOPS, but I haven't measured
that yet.

> I guess a single SSD, attached via SATA 6GB locally
> will seriously outperform whatever solution you have
> in mind, but of course, you cannot share that between
> different hosts easily

I don't have a spare slot in the server (it's an old
SunFire X2100 M2) and I wouldn't be able to afford 2 TByte
of SSD in any case.

I think I'll go with an NFS. I have some 3 consumer NAS
which export NFS as well, and I haven't done iSCSI yet
so NFS is definitely simpler to deploy.

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org