Re: [vserver] Problem with sudo inside Squeeze Guest

From: Markus Fischer <markus_at_fischer.name>
Date: Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 08:28:00 BST

On 18.07.2012 20:36, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> 0.30.215 is too old to work with that kernel, but probably
> the version number is just a fictional one as typical for
> debian ....

Yes, I'm feeling guilty and I really held back writing my email to the
list because I know it's so old ...

> definitiely missing an strace -fF on that command and/or
> debug output on the sudo in question.

Ok, this is now interesting: I thought about this, but actually I always
saw it as a chicken and egg problem: but it hit me that I just have to
make strace suid root so I can call "strace sudo" ...

Here's the log output:
http://my-serve.rs/tmp/serverfault-406010-strace-notworking.txt

I did this several times on different machines and comparing to ones
where sudo works, but the strace output has so many differences I was
unable to spot anything. I guess I need to know what I'm looking for,
which I don't.

But I noticed something else in the system log, the TTY is unknown on
machines where it is not working.

Working sudo:
Jul 19 09:06:31 server sudo: theuser : TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/tmp ; USER=root
; COMMAND=/bin/ls

sudo not working:
Jul 19 09:00:16 server sudo: theuser : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/tmp; USER=root
; COMMAND=/bin/ls

>From the strace output I also saw the file /etc/securetty was consulted,
so I tried adding unknown there but that didn't change anything.

thank you,
- Markus