Re: [vserver] 32bit guests, 64bit host, CentOS 5 & 6

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 26 Apr 2013 - 17:18:17 BST

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 07:54:50AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I've seen the posts about 32bit guests on 64bit hosts but
> I don't remember if any of the threads dealt with CentOS,
> RHEL, etc.

> While I'm working on the yum patch for CentOS 6.4 it would
> be nice to get the guests moved to the new (63bit) host.

I presume they ripped you off at the hardware store by
keeping one bit for themselves while charging the full
price for a 64bit system :)

> The issue is the guests migrating are currently build on
> a 32bit CentOS 5 host.

just set the personality for the guest (in the guest
config) and everything should be fine, as long as the
host kernel supports the 32bit API.

> Can I build them on the 64bit host using the rsync method?

yes, rsync just copies the files, which is fine and
doesn't care about 64bit vs 32bit, nevertheless, you
should set the personality correctly.

> If so any gotchas I should watch for?

as I said, kernel config should include the 32bit API
  CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y
and the personality should be set correctly to linux32
in /etc/vservers/<guest>/personality (to verify, check
with uname -a inside the guest).

HTH,
Herbert