Re: [vserver] Per Guest Statistics

From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz_at_pawlowicz.name>
Date: Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 07:57:24 GMT

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:38:35PM +0000, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
>> I am using htop, which is very recommended:
>
>> # vcontext --migrate --xid 1 -- htop
>
>> but with vserver on kernels starting from 3.x it lost
>> the most important part: it does not show I/O values :-(
>
> So to clarify, running something like
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null &
>
> shows up in 'htop' with high I/O values but doesn't
> show any I/O in 'chcontext --xid 1 -- htop'?

Hi Herbert!

No, the process run in a guest does not show its I/O in htop runing on the host.
If I run htop in any of guests, it works ok. But I do not get
aggregate values across all server, which is essential do diagnose the
potential problems.

> If so, please run both htop invocations with
> strace -fF on an unloaded host (minimal processes
> and no guest running) and upload the dumps somewhere
> where I can reach them.
>
> If not, please clarify what issue you are observing
> and provide some examples to test with.

Should I run for example one guest instance and send you strace output over?

Thanks,
Serge