Re: [vserver] /var/run on tmpfs problem

From: Tor Rune Skoglund <trs_at_swi.no>
Date: Tue 21 Jan 2014 - 14:12:55 GMT

Den 21. jan. 2014 15:04, skrev Gordan Bobic:
> On 2014-01-21 13:48, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> have a new installation here, and after reboots, the vservers will not
>> start - with the following error:
>>
>> The following problem(s) were encountered while verifying vshelper
>> functionality:
>> * The vshelper state-directory '/var/run/vshelper' does not exist; since
>> it is created by 'make install', this indicates a serious problem with
>> your util-vserver installatio
>> [...]
>>
>> ... Which is correct. /var/run is a link to /run, which is again mounted
>> on tmpfs, so no-one has created /var/run/vshelper on boot.
>>
>> The easiest one-liner I found was simply to re-emerge util-vserver on
>> every reboot, but is there an "official", longer-term solution? I am
>> using util-vserver 0.30.216_pre3038, which is ~ masked, but presumably
>> needed for newer kernels.
>>
>> (Btw, this kind of illustrates the degrading state of vserver on Gentoo
>> atm, which cannot be installed without patches or manual interception
>> and googling.... which would scare off new users...)
>
> This is arguably a distro issue rather than vserver issue. Ask
> your distro package maintainer to include a suitable init script?

Probably. However, it seems that other distros do /var/run on tmpfs
also, so it might be argued that it could be solved in the top level.

> As for scaring off new users, you aren't seriously saying
> that in the context of Gentoo's "build the entire distro
> from source at install time" attitude, are you?

Hehe. Well, IMHO, day-to-day installations on Gentoo using the package
manager is usually no harder than other distros' methods. And shouldn't be.

- Tor Rune Skoglund, trs@swi.no