Re: [vserver] /var/run on tmpfs problem

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan_at_bobich.net>
Date: Tue 21 Jan 2014 - 14:20:59 GMT

On 2014-01-21 14:12, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> Den 21. jan. 2014 15:04, skrev Gordan Bobic:
>> On 2014-01-21 13:48, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> have a new installation here, and after reboots, the vservers will
>>> not
>>> start - with the following error:
>>>
>>> The following problem(s) were encountered while verifying vshelper
>>> functionality:
>>> * The vshelper state-directory '/var/run/vshelper' does not exist;
>>> since
>>> it is created by 'make install', this indicates a serious problem
>>> with
>>> your util-vserver installatio
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> ... Which is correct. /var/run is a link to /run, which is again
>>> mounted
>>> on tmpfs, so no-one has created /var/run/vshelper on boot.
>>>
>>> The easiest one-liner I found was simply to re-emerge util-vserver on
>>> every reboot, but is there an "official", longer-term solution? I am
>>> using util-vserver 0.30.216_pre3038, which is ~ masked, but
>>> presumably
>>> needed for newer kernels.
>>>
>>> (Btw, this kind of illustrates the degrading state of vserver on
>>> Gentoo
>>> atm, which cannot be installed without patches or manual interception
>>> and googling.... which would scare off new users...)
>>
>> This is arguably a distro issue rather than vserver issue. Ask
>> your distro package maintainer to include a suitable init script?
>
> Probably. However, it seems that other distros do /var/run on tmpfs
> also, so it might be argued that it could be solved in the top level.

You could also argue that some distros don't use /var/run at all.
While I cannot think of any off the top of my head (does Android
count?), I'm sure one could be found if sought hard enough.

Logically, this is a distro issue that should be fixed at
distro level, IMO.

>> As for scaring off new users, you aren't seriously saying
>> that in the context of Gentoo's "build the entire distro
>> from source at install time" attitude, are you?
>>
> Hehe. Well, IMHO, day-to-day installations on Gentoo using the package
> manager is usually no harder than other distros' methods. And shouldn't
> be.

Maybe my view is a little skewed from having worked on ARM
distros of late, which usually don't come with installers
per se; more a case of a "here's the rootfs tarball", BYO
kernel and read the docs that came with your device on
how to configure the boot loader.

I must also point out that it is refreshingly rewarding
only having to deal with users who have surpassed the
installation hurdle. It won't last, I'm sure, but there's
no harm in smiling while the sun is shining. :)

Gordan