[vserver] LVM within Vserver guests

From: Ted Barnes <madogdevelopment_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue 04 Feb 2014 - 12:09:30 GMT

Hi All:

I'm using Vserver guests, each within its own LVM (Wheezy with Mate,
LibreOffice, Firefox etc.) I'm using LVM as a means to manage each
guest's space.

I've been experimenting with LVM snapshots as a way to restore a guest
quickly should it became compromised from an attacker. Initial
experiments show the restores go quickly, though I have only run a few
tests (i.e., the snapshots restore more quickly than building a standard
guest from template).

Q: has anyone using guests in LVMs put /home in one logical volume and
rest of the of the guest in another? Can you use nested LVMs for
Vserver guests?

My thought here is that you could use snapshots to restore the guest's
system to a "pristine" state without having to restore /home and its
data, or have the choice to restore /home vs. the rest of the guests
from separate snapshots.

Thanks!