[vserver] Source IP issue with multiple interfaces

From: Romain Rivière <romain+vserver_at_forty-two.fr>
Date: Wed 18 Feb 2015 - 19:40:58 GMT

Hi list,

Today I had a first attempt at setting up a VServer with more than just
1 IP and 1 interface. For this particular experiment, I have:
- 1 public IP, directly available to the guest on eth0
- 1 RFC 1918 IP, assigned to dummy0
- lo.

The host also has dummy0 and its own private IP assigned to it. I
intended to use dummy0 as a "local" network between the guests and the host.

The problem is that when the guest tries to connect to the host's dummy0
IP (eg. 192.168.0.1), instead of using its own dummy0 IP (eg.
192.168.0.42), it will use the public IP assigned to eth0.

Is there a way around this issue? The reason why I need this is so that
ACLs on the host can use 192.168.0.0/24, instead of manually listing a
dozen individual IP addresses that are not part of a consistent range
(that's what the ISP gave me, no way around it).

Cheers

--
Romain Rivière
PS: kernel 3.14.27-vs2.3.6.13, in case it matters.