Re: [vserver] Usage of network file systems with vserver

From: Sandino Araico Sánchez <sandino_at_sandino.net>
Date: Sat 18 Nov 2017 - 12:11:42 GMT

On 18/11/17 03:13, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know that this is a bit offtopic but I hope to get some
> pointers/experiences...
>
> I am currently using a dual-node setup with DRBD to have redundancy
> for my vserver guests. This was a nice setup when I started with two
> nodes, but as I am now running 3 pairs which need some hardware
> refresh I am looking for alternative solutions to share my guest data
> over multiple nodes.
>
> My current setup is to mount the block device from the guest fstab so
> the data is only visible inside the guest. This was a major problem
> for me when I tried using GlusterFS some years ago.
>
> As my budget does not cover an invest in a "real" SAN/FibreChannel
> backend, I am looking for practical experience with things like
> GlusterFS, Ceph or other solutions based on decent "standard servers".
> Are those systems cooperating with the vserver approach and are there
> any things to take special care of?
>
> best regards
>
> Oliver

Shared network filesystems I have them mounted on the host filesystem.
This happens before util-vserver starts and you use the _netdev option
in the hosts's fstab to ensure the filesystem is mounted after network .

In the guest's config fstab I use  -o bind to have the already mounted
shared filesystems bind-mounted on the guest

none    /proc           proc    defaults                0 0
none    /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620          0 0
none    /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults                0 0
/shared/home       /home       none      bind,rw  0 0
/shared/vhosts.d   /etc/apache2/vhosts.d none bind 0 0

--
Sandino Araico Sánchez
http://sandino.net