Re: [vserver] Usage of network file systems with vserver

From: Andrew Ruthven <andrew.ruthven_at_catalyst.net.nz>
Date: Sun 19 Nov 2017 - 20:43:47 GMT

On Sat, 2017-11-18 at 10:13 +0100, Oliver Welter wrote:
> As my budget does not cover an invest in a "real" SAN/FibreChannel
> backend, I am looking for practical experience with things like
> GlusterFS, Ceph or other solutions based on decent "standard
> servers".
> Are those systems cooperating with the vserver approach and are
> there
> any things to take special care of?

For a relatively low cost solution, we've been using Ceph as the block
storage layer for the Catalyst Cloud quite happily for a few years now.
Admittedly, the Catalyst Cloud isn't vserver based, but I see no reason
why you couldn't use Ceph with vservers.

A few good things about Ceph is it's easy to increase the number of
IOPS by horizontally scaling it with more hard drives and/or servers.
You can also significantly boost performance by putting the Ceph
journals on SSDs or NVMe drives.

Cheers,
Andrew

--