From: BrandonHoult (BrandonHoult_at_netscape.net)
Date: Thu 22 Aug 2002 - 22:36:40 BST

Ok, I could never get debian to work as the root server so I installed
redhat 7.3 recompiled the patched kernel, installed all the packages ran
(vserver test build), edited the conf files and had the same problem
that I had with debian, if I telnet or ssh in I end up going to my main
server. I tried the suggestion that Jacques Gelinas gave a while back
stopped sshd and xinetd and started v_sshd and v_xinetd and things
finally started working (that should really be in the install manual).
  So I got the debian image (mini-debian-vservers-020.tgz) and followed
the instructions. Now it seems I can ssh to it, but I don't know the
root password. *'ed; does not work. I can't change the password
because when I try to enter it with (vserver debian enter) I get the
following error:

ipv4root is now 192.168.0.56
New security context is 60
/usr/lib/vserver/capchroot: relocation error: /lib/libnss_compat.so.2:
symbol _nss_files_parse_pwent, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file
libc.so.6 with link time reference

Any ideas?
Brandon.

Nuno Silva wrote:

> Hi!
> I made this image some time ago :)
>
> I've updated it to mini-debian-vservers-020.tgz just now, manly
> because the ssh shipped with debian woody, by the time 016 was
> released, had a bug.
>
> !!this is not a problem if you did the *recommended* apt-get update ;
> apt-get upgrade recently!! ;)
>
> Changes were:
> - "apt-get upgraded" the system to woody-current (20020820);
> - the root password is now *'ed;
> - the .txt states that ssh listens on port 22222 (thanks for the
> reminder, support_at_shop.eboxw.net);
> - vhalt and vreboot are from vserver-019.
>
> So, if you downloaded the 016 image you don't have to download 020
> because the update is trivial :)
>
> Regards,
> Nuno Silva
>
> support wrote:
>
>> hello
>> debian run wounderfull for me
>> i use it on the main server and for the virtuals
>>
>> juste go to this adress
>> http://vserver.vgertech.com/
>>
>> get
>> <http://vserver.vgertech.com/mini-debian-vservers-016.tgz>
>> __ mini-debian-vservers-016.tgz
>> ------
>>
>> small debian woody for use in vserver package.
>> not as small as it could be...
>> nuno.silva_at_vgertech.com
>> ------
>>
>> installation:
>> - untar to vserver's (empty) "root" directory
>> - edit vserver's configuration
>> - start the vserver
>> - enter the vserver
>> - CHANGE the root password
>> - change /etc/apt/sources.list to a mirror near you
>> - apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
>> ------
>>

>> <http://vserver.vgertech.com/mini-debian-vservers-016.tgz>

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:42 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3