From: Nuno Silva (nuno.silva_at_vgertech.com)
Date: Fri 23 Aug 2002 - 01:21:46 BST

BrandonHoult wrote:

[snip..]

> So I got the debian image (mini-debian-vservers-020.tgz) and followed
> the instructions. Now it seems I can ssh to it, but I don't know the
> root password. *'ed; does not work. I can't change the password

*'ed is a unix term that means the account is disabled.

you should enter the vserver from the main server (vserver debian enter)
and change it, before you try to do any auth (ssh included).

> because when I try to enter it with (vserver debian enter) I get the
> following error:
>
> ipv4root is now 192.168.0.56
> New security context is 60
> /usr/lib/vserver/capchroot: relocation error: /lib/libnss_compat.so.2:
> symbol _nss_files_parse_pwent, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file
> libc.so.6 with link time reference

This is odd. From what I can make of it, /usr/lib/vserver/capchroot was
not compiled with the same GLIBC version that you have. Are you sure you
have redhat7.3 and latest vserver version?

Quick fix:
wget ftp://ftp.solucorp.qc.ca/pub/vserver/vserver-0.19.src.tar.gz
mkdir compile
cd compile
tar xzf ../vserver-0.19.src.tar.gz
cd *
make
su -
(enter root password)
make install

then try again.

> Any ideas?

Good luck,
Nuno

> Brandon.
>

> Nuno Silva wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I made this image some time ago :)
>>
>> I've updated it to mini-debian-vservers-020.tgz just now, manly
>> because the ssh shipped with debian woody, by the time 016 was
>> released, had a bug.
>>
>> !!this is not a problem if you did the *recommended* apt-get update ;
>> apt-get upgrade recently!! ;)
>>
>> Changes were:
>> - "apt-get upgraded" the system to woody-current (20020820);
>> - the root password is now *'ed;
>> - the .txt states that ssh listens on port 22222 (thanks for the
>> reminder, support_at_shop.eboxw.net);
>> - vhalt and vreboot are from vserver-019.
>>
>> So, if you downloaded the 016 image you don't have to download 020
>> because the update is trivial :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nuno Silva
>>
>> support wrote:
>>
>>> hello
>>> debian run wounderfull for me
>>> i use it on the main server and for the virtuals
>>>
>>> juste go to this adress
>>> http://vserver.vgertech.com/
>>>
>>> get
>>> <http://vserver.vgertech.com/mini-debian-vservers-016.tgz>
>>> __ mini-debian-vservers-016.tgz
>>> ------
>>>
>>> small debian woody for use in vserver package.
>>> not as small as it could be...
>>> nuno.silva_at_vgertech.com
>>> ------
>>>
>>> installation:
>>> - untar to vserver's (empty) "root" directory
>>> - edit vserver's configuration
>>> - start the vserver
>>> - enter the vserver
>>> - CHANGE the root password
>>> - change /etc/apt/sources.list to a mirror near you
>>> - apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
>>> ------
>>>

>>> <http://vserver.vgertech.com/mini-debian-vservers-016.tgz>

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:42 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3