From: John P. Eisenmenger (jpe_at_eisenmenger.org)
Date: Thu 06 Feb 2003 - 23:04:24 GMT

I have done this as a means of installing different distributions, so I
don't see it as being a problem in your case. It will not be a quick and
simple thing to do though. After doing the copy & configuring the
vserver, you will need to clean up the start scripts (/etc/rc.d/...) to
avoid starting up all the infrastructure process that either you won't
need running in the vserver or will cause problems or fail if run.

I don't mean to make it sound like a monstrous task - it isn't. However
it isn't a 10-minute "copy then run" job either.

-John

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Eje Gustafsson wrote:

> Anyone take a single server and move it into a vserver ?
>
> I have 3 machines today on separate hardware two of them are old slow
> machines and one if a fast machine. The faster machine could easily
> run the other 2 machines and still have power over.
>
> So anyone taken a RH system that been installed on a separate hardware
> and turned the installation on this drive into a vserver ?
>
> I was thinking of just pulling the drive out of the old machine. Tar
> everything from the old drive into a vserver directory.
> Any issues ? The old box is a RH 7 system while the vserver master is
> a 8.0.
>
> / Eje
>
> ---

John P. Eisenmenger