From: Klavs Klavsen (klavs_at_EnableIT.dk)
Date: Fri 21 Mar 2003 - 15:34:16 GMT

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 23:18, Georges Toth wrote:
> > Is there a Gentoo package maintainer (or is that portage maintainer?)
> > for vserver?
>
> ebuild maintainer...
> na, not that i know of
> (i got no time for that...if that would've been your next question :-) )

<rant about RFC compliant ipv6 and vserver incompatabilities>

Problem is - that the latest gentoo-sources-2.4.20 includes the Usagi
ipv6 patch (you know the patch that makes Linux actually support RFC
compliant ipv6 incl. IPSec - see http://www.linux-ipv6.org - it's in 2.5
too) - so AFAIK the vserver patch and the latest gentoo-kernels don't go
together - which is very sad IMHO, as vserver is a very cool thing
indeed - and I would definetely say that it enables "out of the box
security" - or as close to as one can come. Only problem is that it
doesn't work with usagi-ipv6 - which means I can't use it anymore - as I
need real ipv6 :(

I'm was hoping someone competent enough (I'm not unfortunately, and the
ones I've asked aren't either) with the need would want to do a vserver
patch for the 2.5 kernel - as it includes real ipv6 support.

</rant>

> > <fireresist>I don't know if it's just me, but I perceive an
> > increase in Gentoo users demanding that the rest of the world support
> > 'their' distro which seems to be a horse/cart ordering
> > issue.</fireresist>
> > Less tetchily: could you expand on "unification doesn't work for gentoo"?
>
> huh?
> gentoo is just yet another distro, which is IMHO!! (no war plz) better than
> anything else like RH, suse, mandr, deb, etc (bsd excluded..)
> i just wrote that it annoys me that unification doesn't work....
> ...bcos those tools are mainly written for RH,... and deb? mandr? (-> rpm)
> i have no clue how the current tools work, but i think it should be possible
> to write a tool which would work on no matter what distro you run it on

Agreed. Gentoo actually has gone to great lengths to create a tool that
works almost like rpm (I've mentioned this before) - and I believe
cedric had done some research on the subject - haven't heard anything
since - but it would be very nice if epm support (gentoo) could be added
to the tools - and then the users could help fix it if need be :)

> > Could you expand on what you mean by 'doesn't work together'? Eg, do you
> > mean problems with overlaying the patches or problems with the
> > functionality once compiled?
>
> :-D...
> the patch doesn't "cleanly" work together with vserver+xfs (i use xfs..)
> the kernel compiled without any complaints, and IIRC the server booted, but
> vserver didn't work...and other stuff? can't remeber

vserver patch doesn't apply cleanly (or even close to), as of
gentoo-sources-2.4.20.

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen, GSEC

Open Source Server, Security and Network Consulting klavs_at_EnableIT.dk - http://www.EnableIT.dk Phone: +45 3284 4372 Mobile: +45 2342 4372 PGP: 7E063C62/2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62

"Open Source Software - Sometimes you get more than you paid for."

Generated on Fri 21 Mar 2003 - 16:07:06 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3