From: Jan Zuchhold (Jan_at_Zuchhold.com)
Date: Fri 02 May 2003 - 10:05:56 BST

> Right now I'm just doing some survey's on different virtual server
> environments for hosting solutions and I'd love to hear some of your
> experiences.
> Namely:
>
> * Ideas on ideal server configuration (hardware/distribution of
> Linux preferred)

I use the vserver patch together with a Raid1+DRBD/Heartbeat failover config.
If the primary server fails all vservers are started on the secondary within a
few seconds. Besides the recently fixed bug in ctx15/ctx16 this setup is 100%
stable.

Hardware: nothing special, most servers are AMD based, IDE drives...
Software: Debian Woody (Host+Vserver), Vserver Kernel Patch, Linux Software
Raid, DRBD, Heartbeat

I usually setup one vserver for each network service.

> * Pitfalls

I don't know if it's possible at all, but I was not able to get some services
running inside a vserver (Kernel-NFS, NIS, SMB (problems with locking)).

I got the following services running in a production environment inside a
vserver:
OpenLDAP
DHCPD
MySQL, PostgreSQL
Postfix
Apache
XDMCP/X11 Apps
Bind/DNS
CUPS
HylaFAX
Squid
NTPd

> * Experience setting up HD quotas

No quotas needed for me.

Jan

Generated on Fri 02 May 2003 - 10:30:55 BST by hypermail 2.1.3