From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 19 Nov 2003 - 14:58:23 GMT

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:59:03AM -0500, Allen D. Parker II wrote:

> OFF TOPIC: I had a nice long conversation with lilo tonight (if you know
> about freenode/openprojects, you'll know the name), and I'd really like to
> see a #vserver there instead of oftc. Freenode/openprojects has a much
> better userbase (see: http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/ oftc.net isn't even
> in the top 20), with #gentoo as the top channel (*grin*) I know *our*
> userbase isn't that huge, but I really think that freenode is the best
> network for a project that cooperates as we do. Politics is something I
> really don't like to get stuck in the middle of, and it seems from reading
> the sites of both oftc and freenode that freenode is DEFINITELY attempting
> to distance itself of any of that nonsense. I figure that if oftc were
> serious about running a network instead of having a virtual government,
> perhaps they'd be a better network. At this point, I'm personally boycotting
> oftc as a network. If you'd like to speak to me about *my* contributions to
> the linux-vserver project or the Gentoo linux distribution, feel free to
> join irc.freenode.net and /msg infowolfe, if I'm around, I'll definitely
> answer you as soon as is humanly possible.
>
> Citing: 1) http://www.freenode.net/philosophy.shtml
> 2) http://www.oftc.net/constitution/index.html

Hi Chip!

please elaborate, and do not 'boycott' without giving
some rationale or explaining the how and why ...

I don't see a reason for changing the irc network,
so please give me some hints ... or ask the community,
if the majority is for a change, we'll probably move
_again_ ... if you just wan't a broader audience, why
not 'reactivate' the bridge we had between oftc and
freenode?

TIA,