From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 18 Dec 2003 - 15:01:29 GMT

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:25:06AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 11:16:18PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I would like to 'officially' reserve a syscall number
> > for parisc(64)/vserver ...
>
> The syscall is the typical multiplexer crap, so an actual submission
> wouldn't have any chance. Please fix up your junk beofe trying to
> play the reserve a syscall scheme. This didn't work for afs or
> LSM either.

hohoho!

you are a funny guy, and I'm sure you will
explain your statement in all detail ...

just for your information:

vserver folks really do not care whether or not the
syscall is reserved on their architecture, as long
as it's there, and it will be there anyway, I just
wanted to be polite and correct, so if you 'think'
we split up the switch just for parisc(64) again,
then I can assure you, that just won't happen ...

PS:

if you are actually interrested _how_ this is done
and _what_ we do to minimize issues, have a look at

 http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/vswitch.h
 http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/vswitch.c

some facts:

- the project started with 2 syscalls, and has grown
  to 7-8 syscalls (depending on the version)

- the syscall switch was not my idea, but I have to
  admit, that it simplified development drastically
  (no need to ask 10 people for a new syscall ;)

- we _are_ supporting several different architectures
  and we _are_ trying to avoid issues where possible,
  (for example we use the c99 types for structs)

- userspace handles this with a versioned interface