From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 29 Jan 2004 - 23:13:31 GMT

n Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:34:00PM -0500, Igor Seletskiy wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
>
> My name is Igor Seletskiy. I own psoft (maker of freeVPS). I wander what
> are your thoughts about merging linux-vserver & freeVPS?
> I believe at some points freeVPS is more advanced then linux-vserver
> (like our new memory accounting module, new network routing, also, &
> mount tables), on the other hand - I am pretty sure that there are bunch
> of places where linux-vserver is more advanced.
> I spun off freeVPS when Jacques virtually stopped releasing anything.
> Yet, seeing how linux-vserver took off - I wander what your feelings are
> about merging projects & working together.

I always tried to keep contact to Alexey Lyashkov, who,
if I'm not mistaken, started and maintains the vserver
branch, now known as freeVPS (I wonder if that information
is incomplete?)

I'm forwarding this to the mailing list, because I think
it is of interest for the community, and I hope you do not
take this as a personal offense (which isn't intended).

some facts (as I see them):

 - freeVPS has some features the current linux-vserver
   implementation lacks (memory, networking, ...)

 - freeVPS is limited to a certain kernel (RH 2.4.18)
   and distribution (RedHat 7.3) and I assume arch
   (i386) too

 - the License of tools and kernel patches is not
   obvious to me, although kernel patches basically
   default to GPL

 - the changes freeVPS made to the RH kernel are very
   intrusive and might introduce various issues which
   need some reviewing and a lot of testing

my opinion:

I'm convinced that 'working together' in a well defined
way, and even 'merging' various parts, provided that they
are covered by an open and free license, could be very
beneficial for both projects, but I currently do not see
a simple way to do that (ideas welcome ;) ...

That said, I'm not convinced that it can't be done, it
just needs some work on both sides and especially some
official statements from your side, what how and why
psoft is/will be involved in this (well there is a
commercial product H-Sphere, right?)

btw, linux-vserver development is free, and as I said
many times, patches are always welcome, so if your aim
is to 'improve' the quality of a free linux-vserver
implementation, publishing patches agains recent dev.
versions would be a great way to do that ...

Now here is the point, where I would like to ask the
community for their opinion on that issue, because I
might be the current project leader, but the project
itself has evolved and become a community project.