From: Igor Seletskiy (iseletsk_at_psoft.net)
Date: Fri 30 Jan 2004 - 00:07:31 GMT

Hello Everyone,

I will follow up and add some more info. Alexey Lyashkov was hired by
Positive Software in 2002 to add enhancements and speed up development
of vserver project (it was vserver back then). Several more developers
where added at later stages. I was mostly interested in creating virtual
server environment for hosting companies. As vserver development
stopped, we decided to create our own branch (freeVPS).
As the name says - it is free. As part of linux kernel - it is GPL (I
don't think it is legal to produce any kind of patches to linux kernel
under any different license). Also, with tools it is more complex - most
of the tools are GPL as well. Only those tools that are unique to
h-sphere to provision freeVPS are covered by commercial license.
So, from the licensing standpoint - there should be any issues.

The reason redhat kernel was select - due to some back ports from 2.6 -
like O(1) scheduler - that made it very convenient & easy to improve
virtualization without sacrificing too much of the performance. Also,
the fact that patches are for redhat kernel - doesn't reduce its ability
to work on any other linux distro - it is still linux kernel.

That is also why I think merge between linux-vserver & freeVPS makes
sense. In 2.6 - we are going to go with standard kernel (as all the
necessary pieces already there).

Regarding how intrusive are changes - they probably are. We tried to
create very good, highly isolated, high performance virtual environment
that would sustain hosting environment. So we had to assume that inside
each virtual server - there were "hostile" root users. I understand that
it can break bunch of additional patches against vanilla kernel - yet,
for us virtualization was more imported.

Regarding "patches are welcome" - it is not that easy. I cannot have my
guys working on two projects. Thats why I want to be sure that
a) There are enough interest in merging (aka finding compromises when
necessary)
b) FreeVPS design strategies are ok for linux-vserver developers
c) We can come up with a set of common goals, tasks and with a way to
work together.

Regards,
Igor Seletskiy