From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 02 Apr 2004 - 13:41:47 BST

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 04:59:19PM +0300, bogdan_at_llama.fdns.net wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 09:01:12PM +0300, Alexander Suvorov wrote:
> > > Dear coleagues!
> > >
> > > Let us to announce some new features in FreeVPS 1.3:
> >
> > scheduled for?
> >
> > > 1. CPU Limit - allow to set up the upper limit of CPU usage inside
> > VPS
> >
> > this is in linux-vserver ;)
>
> Just one question: when ? Is it CPU_CAP patch integration?

no, we have a hard CPU scheduler (not realtime)
in the 2.6 experimental branch, which will become
devel in a few days ...

> And does it will be possible to limit amount of phisical
> RAM that is accesible to vserver ?

this, as a matter of fact, doesn't make any sense,
as you would not want to have complete memory
separation between vservers. why?

 - one benefit of vservers over let's say UML or
   VMware is that the resources are shared, for
   example the inode cache
 - strict memory separation would not allow to
   fork/move a process into a context, which is
   what you do when you enter a vserver

we do RSS accounting and VM accounting, and in 2.6
experimental, a limit on RSS can be enforced in
various places where it makes sense

HTH,