From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Thu 08 Apr 2004 - 05:31:11 BST

sam_at_vilain.net (Sam Vilain) writes:

> Allow me to throw mine into the fold, then; these additions let you
> have each vserver on a seperate filesystem, whilst still having the
> benefits of unification; all changes are in /usr/sbin/vserver:

With new tools you could do this with:

* add a line like
  | /vservers/shadow/usr /usr ext3 bind,ro 0 0
  to /etc/vservers/<id>/fstab

  To assume this for all new vservers, copy
  /usr/lib/util-vservers/defaults/fstab to /etc/vservers/.defaults/fstab
  and add the line there.

  Similarly for the other directories (/lib, /sbin, ...)

  Note: When doing this, you have to trust the 'shadow' vserver. Else
  e.g. ssh hostkeys could leak into the vservers.

* copy /usr/lib/util-vservers/defaults/vunify-exclude to
  /etc/vservers/shadow/apps/vunify/exclude and add lines like

  | ~/lib/*
  | ~/usr/*
  | ~/bin/*
  | ~/sbin/*

* call

  | vserver <id> build -m skeleton'

  mark 'shadow' as a unification source with

  | mkdir -p /etc/vservers/<id>/apps/vunify
  | ln -s /etc/vservers/shadow /etc/vservers/<id>/apps/vunify/refserver.0

  and init the filesystem with

  | vcopy <id> shadow

The latter two steps are supported by CVS only and the whole process was
never tested. But it should work in the described way.

Enrico