From: Bjoern Steinbrink (bjoern.steinbrink_at_isp4p.net)
Date: Mon 19 Apr 2004 - 19:48:23 BST

On Mo, 2004-04-19 at 20:06, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Chris,

> I'm trying to get the experimental vserver patch 0.09 working on kernel
> 2.6 (since it appears to be the only option for 2.6 right now). The kernel
No, the most recent 2.6 patch is pre10. Patches, deltas and various
other stuff can be found here:
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/

> patched and compiled fine, but when I try to enter a virtual server (which
> I haven't tested on 2.4, so it could be a problem with the virtual server
> itself), I get the following errors:
>
> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 715: ulimit: max user processes: cannot modify
> limit: Invalid argument
I guess you're using the stable tools, or at least a legacy
configuration, replace -H with -HS in the ULIMIT line. This is a general
kernel change introduced somewhere around 2.4.24 IIRC.

> Error: /proc must be mounted and readable
> To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
> /proc /proc proc defaults
> In the meantime, `mount /proc /proc -t proc'
> To set the permissions, `chmod 755 /proc'
Proc-entries are by default hidden in devel/exper. patches, more
information can be found here:
http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=Proc-Security
http://archives.linux-vserver.org/200401/0125.html
http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg06552.html

> ipv4root is now 192.168.3.181
> Can't set the new security context
> : Invalid argument
Hmm... Don't know, maybe you're not using a static context? Basic
kernel/tools check script is located here:
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/testme.sh

> Can anyone advise me what the problem might be? Are new tools required for
> the experimental patch, and if so where can I get them from? I don't mind
> if they are experimental too, but I can't see any on the downloads page
> [http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/e_patches/overview/].
The alpha tools are AFAIK not required but their use is strongly
suggested, because only those provide support for the latest features.
http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=alpha+util-vserver

Bjoern