From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Wed 21 Apr 2004 - 19:18:29 BST

This is kind of long and I'm not sure if it can be solved with a vserver
tweak or it is a SAMBA issue.

   I work in a Windows dominated shop with Linux do much of the hands-off
stuff until we got customers that _really_ wanted php. From this was born
Web2 a vserver with a few domains so far. Now serveral of the customers
want web statistics and the tech manager wants to use a Windows based
program. Quick-ish trick was to mount the Windows share as
/vservers/VSERVER/var/log/httpd (which I got sorted out after identifying
my fat fingers as the problem.) Works fine with Apache's rotatelogs but
for one little problem - Windows won't open the file as long as Apache has
it open.
   The situation dictates we have "up-to-the-second" web site data so
using the previous days' is not really acceptable.

So I figured I'd just reverse the SAMBA/Windows set up and share
/vservers/VSERVER/var/log/httpd as \\Web2\VSERVER. Interesting problem is
even as root I can't map it on the Windows server.
   My guess is the permissions on /vservers and possibly how SAMBA is
started/running is the problem.

Is there a semi-secure solution to giving access from outside the
vservers? Installing SAMBA in each vserver is looking like a royal pain
because of dependencies. The vservers are based on Redhat 8.0 but without
SAMBA installed and 'Oh-forgive' me the main server is running
2.4.21ctx-17c - which I *will* be getting updated soon.

Once again thanks in advance,
Rod