From: Eric Estabrooks (eric_at_urbanrage.com)
Date: Wed 21 Apr 2004 - 21:16:38 BST

>>On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 02:03, Micah Anderson wrote:
>>

>>>How can I make it so that the vserver is communicating with the
>>>private IP instead of the public one? I want to do this so I can allow
>>>some vservers the ability to access the mysql, but not others. I can
>>>simply add 212.112.147.194 to the tables to be able to connect, but
>>>then all the vservers would be able to connect, when I only want
>>>192.168.0.1 to be able to connect, but not 192.168.0.3 for example.

Not a solution in general but for mysql a really easy way to do it is to
mount --bind the mysql unix socket directory into the vserver areas that
are allowed access to the mysql server. then that vserver can access
mysql via the unix socket instead of tcp/ip and your original mysql
server doesn't have to do an ip bind at all if you don't want. It works
great.

example:

mysql server running in vserver mysql at /export/vservers/mysql

vserver quake needs access

in main server mount --bind /export/vservers/mysql/var/run/mysqld
/export/vservers/quake/var/run/mysqld

you can have that automatically happen by adding it to your main server
fstab

/export/vservers/mysql/var/run/mysqld
/export/vservers/quake/var/run/mysqld none defaults,bind,auto 0 0

Eric