From: Matthias Wieser (developer_at_hiasl.net)
Date: Thu 17 Jun 2004 - 09:45:14 BST

Am Wednesday 16 June 2004 23:18 schrieb Bernhard Duebi:
> Hi,
> I can't find the docs for util-vserver. Any help ?
>
> The host system is a SuSE 9.1 Professional.
> I installed kernel-2.6.6-vs1.9.1
> I installed util-vserver-0.29.214
> I tried "vserver server build", but did not understand how to configre
> the build option. So I installed vserver with a script from the linux
> magazin.
> I tried "vserver server start" in legacy mode and in native mode, but no
> luck.
Hi!

I worked with the following and had much success:
vserver NAME build --help (you don't trust me and want to read the options)
vserver NAME build -m debootstrap --interface eth0:IPADDRESS/NETMASK
--hostname NAME -- -d sid

The netmask should be a simple number 8 = 255.0.0.0 16 = 255.255.0.0
You will get a debian host with this example. Before starting it, I would do
the following:
chroot /vservers/NAME
update-rc.d -f klogd remove
update-rc.d -f klogd pcmcia
echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get install ssh
passwd #set rootpassword
exit
on your host server, you have to limit ssh to its actual ip
EDITOR /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
ListenAddress PublicIP
This option needs to be writen for every ip it should listen on.
0.0.0.0 = nono! vserver does not get a port to run properly
Important: /etc/init.d/ssh restart

Almost done?
Yes: no public IP -> you should run iptables with the following option:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --src VSERVERIP -j SNAT --to PUBLICIP

You can start the vserver!!!
vserver NAME start

Need help to find a package within debian:
apt-cache search NAME

I hope it helps, it is the best I can come up with

Ciao, Matthias