From: Stephen Frost (sfrost_at_snowman.net)
Date: Tue 21 Dec 2004 - 17:53:00 GMT

* Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at) wrote:
> let me ask two questions here, and please don't get me wrong:
>
> a) _who_ is testing the debian vserver tools/kernel patches?

Probably the maintainer.

> b) _why_ doesn't the maintainer (you) talk a little more with
> the developers (enrico, bjoern, myself ...)

Discussion as-needed usually works pretty decently. Of course, we're
all busy and can't spend as much time as many of us would like to on
each thing.

> right, as you can tell from the version ... but neither is 2.6
> (which you can't tell from the version ;) so how comes that
> folks show up which _believe_ they have to use outdated debian
> tools for 2.6 versions?

They don't do any research or look into the current status of the
project? Honestly, I don't think the blame for that is due to the
Debian maintainer.

> I'd say there are _many_ misunderstandings on all sides, and
> the folks paying for that are the end-users, which IMHO is
> a very bad policy ... my 'solutions' to this are (in order of
> preference)
>
> a) get somebody to maintain stable and devel vserver packages
> who keeps in close touch and uses linux-vserver ...
> (not necessarily the same person)

Or don't try to maintain development vserver packages in Debian. Seems
reasonable to me- they're development. Release a stable version
sometime.

> b) avoid changes and package the upstream stuff so that the
> linux-vserver folks can 'maintain' those packages too ...

Debian will make whatever changes are necessary to match Debian policy
and build a correct .deb, at the least. If you're doing something that
goes against Debian policy then, sorry, we're going to have to change
it.

        Stephen