From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 21 Dec 2004 - 17:28:35 GMT

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 06:09:29PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> Hello
>
> I know that this thread is old but I have to answer as I'm the
> maintainer.
>
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:53:42PM +0100, Björn Steinbrink wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:35:18 +0000 (UTC)
> > Jesper Krogh <jesper_at_krogh.cc> wrote:

> > > Sure.. I'll go that way. I'd just like to know if the were available
> > > somewhere, so I could skip kernel compilation.

> > > Ok.. so I'll go for the vanilla kernel in the next try.

> > > For any particular reason?
> >
> > Because debian packages are made to work with debian packages. That
> > means that if you use the debian util-vserver package it is best to use
> > their kernel patch and their helper stuff, it won't work too well with
> > non debianized stuff. Problem is: debian stuff is often outdated, f.e.
> > from what i remember debian has an (old) vserver patch for 2.6 (devel),
> > but the tools are kept at 0.30 (stable), thus you can't use the new
> > features (except if the debian maintainers wrote/backported tools...).
>
> I would like to say like this: Debian tend to ship well tested
> and stable versions. The kernel patch for 2.6 kernel was an experiment
> and I actually think it was a bad idéa to add it there. I have got
> many misunderstandings about this version.

let me ask two questions here, and please don't get me wrong:

 a) _who_ is testing the debian vserver tools/kernel patches?
 b) _why_ doesn't the maintainer (you) talk a little more with
    the developers (enrico, bjoern, myself ...)

> > Also, since some packages have very little in common with the upstream,
> > it's a real pain to fix issues if you don't happen to be the debian
> > maintainer.
>
> Patches are always welcome!
>
> > You should have a look at the list's
> > archives and search for message from/to debian maintainers, maybe that
> > helps understanding why, for linux-vserver, the debianized stuff is not
> > the first choice.
>
> I would like to tell that util-vserver on 2.4 is very well tested. The
> reason why the 2.6 version is not included in Debian is that is is not
> stable (still development as far as I know).

right, as you can tell from the version ... but neither is 2.6
(which you can't tell from the version ;) so how comes that
folks show up which _believe_ they have to use outdated debian
tools for 2.6 versions?

> > That said, i want to say that i've used debian a long time and i like
> > it, but sometimes their (or a maintainer's, dunno) packaging policies
> > don't fit a project very well. Linux-VServer is such a project as it
> > seems.
>
> Well I do not really see your problem here. If you want to use
> development branch you have to use it from upstream. Stable versions
> is what is intended for release, or do I misunderstand something here?

I'd say there are _many_ misunderstandings on all sides, and
the folks paying for that are the end-users, which IMHO is
a very bad policy ... my 'solutions' to this are (in order of
preference)

 a) get somebody to maintain stable and devel vserver packages
    who keeps in close touch and uses linux-vserver ...
    (not necessarily the same person)

 b) avoid changes and package the upstream stuff so that the
    linux-vserver folks can 'maintain' those packages too ...

 c) drop the debian packages and linux-vserver 'support' for
    now and let debian folks use the upstream stuff, which
    has support and is working ...