From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 12 Apr 2005 - 17:37:28 BST

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:55:55AM +0200, Nicolas Costes wrote:
> Le Lundi 4 Avril 2005 17:40, Herbert Poetzl a écrit :
> > sounds more like a simple permission issue to me ...
> > check that the directory your samba wants to write to
> > really exist and have proper permission ...
> > (you can probably trace that with strace -fF)
>
> Well, I took time, and I still haven't got the answer...
> It seem not to be a permission issue, I double checked all... And the
> drivers are alway copied in the good directory (PRINT$/W32X86/...).
>
> It only fail _after_ that, but Samba's logs give me nothing I can link to
> this issue. I tried the strace method, I got a 187 Mb log (!), and
> parsing it to find an answer is... Well, needle in a stack.
>
> Imagining this is Vserver related, for example a capabilities problem,
> which Vserver tool can I use to track the problem when it occurs ?

you can compile in and enable the vserver debugging system
(kernel side support) will give you plenty of messages
once enabled too but if you 'know' what you're looking
for, it's probably easy to find ...

but I'm still pretty sure that it is simpler to find the
issue in an strace or maybe even in a debug log with
reasonably high debug level ...

> I installed yesterday another Samba print server, with point-and-print
> driver installation, on a non-Vserver machine, and it worked...

copy the entire system into a vserver and start it there
(after allowing for broadcasts and binding to the broadcast
address), then, if it fails too, run a single tests (maybe
automated?) to do the necessary steps, strace both apps
(the one on the working server and the one inside the guest)
then compare the straces (with a little script maybe) and
look for differences (i.e. syscalls which succeed in one
trace but fail in the other, sections left out in either
trace, etc)

HTH,
Herbert