Re: [Vserver] latest stable for gentoo?

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Wed 15 Mar 2006 - 14:11:25 GMT

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 08:55 am, Benedikt Böhm wrote:

ok thanks.

> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 13:30, Chuck wrote:
> > Hi-
> >
> > Sorry I haven't been around but my boss has caught the vserver fever and
> > has me converting literally *everything* to guests! :)
> >
> > I have not had the time to keep up with this list or the website and to be
> > honest I don't yet, so I'm going to be lazy and ask.
> >
> > I am currently using the following:
> >
> > vanilla kernal and patch : 2.6.13.3-vs2.1.0-rc4
> >
> > Gentoo packages for
> >
> > util-vserver-0.30.210-r5
> >
> > baselayout-vserver 1.11.13-r1
> >
> > I see that 2.1.0 was released in Dec. Is this the latest stable?
>
> No. http://linux-vserver.org/ Section Downloads
>
> > What newer kernel(s) will the patch work with?
>
> 2.6.16-rc5 http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/
>

> > I see that the latest kernel in portage is vanilla-sources-2.6.16_rc6
> >
> > I may be biting my own tail, but I gave up on the gentoo sources kernels
> > due to the extremely heavy patching.
>
> genpatches consists of bugfixes only, the extra patches can all be turned
off
> with make menuconfig
>
> > I find the vanilla kernels perform
> > noticably faster and seem more stable.
> >
> > Everything I am running is rock stable so I'm not positive upgrades are
> > truly needed but would like to incorporate any other features/fixes my
> > above versions may be missing.
> >
> > Last question... has any progress been made on the proposed network code
> > changes to allow each guest to have a true localhost and more than 16 ip
> > addresses without falling apart?
>
> no

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book