[Vserver] cannot start copied vserver

From: Gerhard Hofmann <gerhard.hofmann_at_planat.de>
Date: Wed 29 Mar 2006 - 15:20:47 BST

Hi all,

I have two vserver host machines: mainvserv and backvserv

mainvserv has some running vserver guests. I want to place an (rsync'd)
copy of all my vserver guests on backvserv. In case mainvserv crashes, I
want to activate vserver guests on backvserv.

I have tried two ways of syncing the guests:
method 1: save /etc/vservers and /var/lib/vservers directories into a
tgz file and untar this file on backvserv. I have used "tar -cvzpf ..."
to keep all file permissions and ownerships.

method 2:
rsync -vazPxle ssh --numeric-ids --delete \
--exclude=*/init/mark \
--hard-links /etc/vservers/* backvserv:/etc/vservers \
>> /var/log/vserverrsync.log

rsync -vazPxle ssh --numeric-ids --delete \
--exclude=*/proc \
--exclude=*/dev \
--hard-links /var/lib/vservers/* backvserv:/var/lib/vservers \
>> /var/log/vserverrsync.log

Both ways of copying the vserver guests leed to these error messages
when trying to startup a copied vserver on backvserv:
---snip---
An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
(/etc/init.d/rc 3) failed.

Common causes are:
* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
   method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
   appending 'true' to this file will help.
---snip---

What is wrong here?

Both vserver hosts are 32-bit machines (but different hardware) and are
based on Knoppix/Debian 4.0.2. All VServer stuff was installed as
described in this HowTo:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_vserver_debian

Kernel version on both mainvserv and backvserv is 2.6.12.4-vs2.0

Of course I have tested VServer environment on backvserv. I can create
and run new VServer guests without any problems.

TIA
Gerhard